Need some measurement help...

Need some measurement help...

Postby AshleyRose » Mon Oct 03, 2011 9:09 pm

First of all, thank you SO much for your wonderful guides! They're an invaluable resource for all of us spinners :)

So, I couldn't find a 5/8" aluminium tube, so I substituted a 1/2" tube. The problem I've run into is that I can't get the flyer assembly to work properly, so I'm stepping back and re-thinking where I went wrong.

I have this set up so far (see picture), so I need a plastic sleeve to fit over the 1/2" aluminium tube, a shaft collar to to help keep it in place, right? if so, what should the inside/outside diameter of this plastic tube be when I have a 1/2" aluminium tube?

After I get that right, I need a bobbin which is made up of nylon tubing, nylon spacers, and the wooden ends - what size diameters of those do I need, and do I just tap the spacers into the nylon tubing? I don't understand the need for the spacers... lol

The last question I have is about the pulley size. My motor is pretty fast, probably too fast, so I was wondering if the size of the pulley attached to the flyer has anything to do with the speed that it turns.

Thanks for all of your help, I know it's a lot to ask. Any info would help me GREATLY! I've been working on this thing for the last 2 months and this is the third machine and I'm just stumped.

Thanks again!

Ashley-Rose
Attachments
Photo 11-10-03 10 41 17 PM.jpg
Bare flyer, assembled

Re: Need some measurement help...

Postby Maurice » Mon Oct 03, 2011 11:02 pm

You shouldn't need the nylon spacers on the inside of the bobbin. That just makes it a little quieter. If you get the spacers you want the inside diameter of the spacer to be the size of the outside diameter of the aluminium tube. And the outside diameter of the spacer should be the inside diameter of the bobbin.

If you are talking about the spacers that are part of the box, those are also optional. I used those to reduce friction and eliminate the need to oil the wood.

Motor selection is actually one of the toughest parts. It is easily possible to get a motor that spins too fast without enough torque. To reduce the speed of the bobbin you want a smaller pulley on the motor and a bigger pulley on the bobbin.

Re: Need some measurement help...

Postby AshleyRose » Tue Oct 04, 2011 2:08 pm

Thank you SO much for the help, Maurice! You're my hero! :D

Return to Electric Eel Wheel