Water droplet flash positions

Water droplet flash positions

Postby Lloyd » Wed Apr 08, 2015 8:10 am

Hi, I have all the equipment ready to go for my first attempt at creating water droplets. I was hoping somebody could give me advice as to the positions for a dual speedlight setup; I'm looking for collisions. My initial plan was to have two speedlights, one either side of the droplet on low power (1/128) using diffusers and then experiment shifting them around, maybe have them both pointing at the backdrop or shooting through a translucent coloured sheet. If anyone has some tips it would be appreciated.

Re: Water droplet flash positions

Postby erniehatt » Thu Apr 09, 2015 5:55 am

It's really a matter of trial and error, some use two flashes one either side, or one a little higher shinning on the background, others use 4 flashes, matter of experimenting with what you have available. Enjoy.
If the world is a roundabout, no wonder I am always in a spin. Cheers Ernie

Re: Water droplet flash positions

Postby Maurice » Thu Apr 09, 2015 7:51 am

I totally agree with Ernie that you just need to experiment. Different lighting results in different images and many of those will be interesting. One tip is to not forget to try backlighting the image. Putting the flash behind the drops and running them through a diffusing sheet (even just tissue paper) can cause the drops to glow and is a nice effect.

Return to General Camera Axe