Assembled a shield today getting blank screen

Assembled a shield today getting blank screen

Postby purdomphotography » Fri May 11, 2018 6:29 pm

Hi Group. I have had some boards printed. I assembled one today. I get a lit but blank screen. I have tried it with 3 Uno's. I have tried pressing activate button when plugging it into usb cable to turn on.

At first the 2 led's by the screen turn red then green, then red, green...they settle into green then off.

If I hit activate the top led turns green for a moment.

Could it be that the screen contrast is off so txt is not readable?

Thanks,

Paul

Re: Assembled a shield today getting blank screen

Postby purdomphotography » Fri May 11, 2018 6:35 pm

I have checked solders, the 6 pins to backlight are soldered, the pins to screen look good on one side but on the top they may not of soaked all the way through...I'd expect to light or power...its does glow green.

Camera Axe 5_6 seemed to compile not sure what these warnings mean...

C:\Users\Paul\Documents\Arduino\cameraAxe56\cameraAxe\menu00_advanced.ino: In function 'void advancedSensorMenu()':

C:\Users\Paul\Documents\Arduino\cameraAxe56\cameraAxe\menu00_advanced.ino:21:24: warning: narrowing conversion of '65535u' from 'unsigned int' to 'int' inside { } [-Wnarrowing]

0xFFFF, 0xFFFF }; // Need bit 16 to be 1 or helpPrintCurSensorValue doesn't work correctly

^

C:\Users\Paul\Documents\Arduino\cameraAxe56\cameraAxe\menu00_advanced.ino:21:24: warning: narrowing conversion of '65535u' from 'unsigned int' to 'int' inside { } [-Wnarrowing]

C:\Users\Paul\Documents\Arduino\cameraAxe56\cameraAxe\menu00_advanced.ino:23:24: warning: narrowing conversion of '65535u' from 'unsigned int' to 'int' inside { } [-Wnarrowing]

0xFFFF, 0xFFFF }; // Need bit 16 to be 1 or helpPrintCurSensorValue doesn't work correctly

^

C:\Users\Paul\Documents\Arduino\cameraAxe56\cameraAxe\menu00_advanced.ino:23:24: warning: narrowing conversion of '65535u' from 'unsigned int' to 'int' inside { } [-Wnarrowing]

C:\Users\Paul\Documents\Arduino\cameraAxe56\cameraAxe\menu00_advanced.ino:25:24: warning: narrowing conversion of '65535u' from 'unsigned int' to 'int' inside { } [-Wnarrowing]

^

C:\Users\Paul\Documents\Arduino\cameraAxe56\cameraAxe\menu00_advanced.ino:25:24: warning: narrowing conversion of '65535u' from 'unsigned int' to 'int' inside { } [-Wnarrowing]

C:\Users\Paul\Documents\Arduino\cameraAxe56\cameraAxe\menu00_advanced.ino:27:24: warning: narrowing conversion of '65535u' from 'unsigned int' to 'int' inside { } [-Wnarrowing]

^

C:\Users\Paul\Documents\Arduino\cameraAxe56\cameraAxe\menu00_advanced.ino:27:24: warning: narrowing conversion of '65535u' from 'unsigned int' to 'int' inside { } [-Wnarrowing]

Postby purdomphotography » Fri May 11, 2018 11:25 pm

Make another copy, having the same issue.

I'm using a Inland Uno R3 in case there may be a latent issue.

Paul

the electron goes :evil: :twisted: :oops: :mrgreen:

Postby PTB » Wed May 16, 2018 6:04 am

hi,

do you have any photos, both sides of the shield?

I'm guessing you have appropriate libraries installed. from memory there was a custom CA library for that dogm display.

i don't think the inland uno would be a problem, but who knows, anything could happen.

Been quite a while since i have played with uploading to the shield. i can't remember all the details.

i would check libraries first.

Cheers

PTB

Postby purdomphotography » Mon May 21, 2018 3:03 am

CA5_1.jpg
CA5_1.jpg (208.32 KiB) Viewed 89 times

Here are the 2 I made, with the old ruined CA5 original.

My leading suspicions are:

the DOGMA screens were bad from the ebay guy I bought them from.

The board design from Eagle is more than a 2 layer board and seed only produced as the budget 2 layer.

Both efforts seem to activate on the activate button. As I recall these seem normal behavior from my memories. So its seems just the screens or the traces (or lack there of) seem to be missing or broken.

Thanks for the reply, does it give any good insight?

Paul
Attachments
CA5_3.jpg
CA5_3.jpg (221.45 KiB) Viewed 89 times
CA5_2.jpg
CA5_2.jpg (219.71 KiB) Viewed 89 times

Postby purdomphotography » Thu May 24, 2018 12:45 pm

I have done more test.

When turned on and I hit the Activate button and only intervolmeter menu active it will trigger a camera once. Sometimes fiddling will cause the led light to go on for several times.

If I connect a camera and hit the button next to the camera jack (both cam1 & cam2) it will trigger the camera.

Seems likely to be just the screen. Will the screen die if soldered at high temp for non-lead solder and many dead spots on tip?

Postby PTB » Fri May 25, 2018 5:06 am

I don't think i'm going to be much help.

The photos look ok.

I wouldn't worry about the board having more than 2 layers. I am pretty sure the design is only 2 layer.

I can't really comment on desoldering other than to say I am really bad at it.
I have had trouble with tracks delaminating off the board before the part comes free.

Would be good if you had a working shield, then you could tell whether the arduino/code is the problem or the shield.

FYI
There is a new Camera Axe 6 in the works.
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/14 ... mera-axe-6

But I understand your desire to get the shield working.

Sorry I couldn't be more helpful.

Cheers

PTB

Postby purdomphotography » Tue May 29, 2018 1:39 am

Thanks PTB,

I sign-up for the Kickstarter, too. The CA5 will get me through this year's monsoon and I did find one from a vendor in UK (Avionics). Watching the Kickstarter to see if it gets funded. If its close on Wednesday I would consider backing a second CA6.

BTW, I'll keep posting to this as I find out more about the boards I tried. I did figure out how to press lcd and backlight to see if they work (so not to ruin lcd if it doesn't work).

I did measure voltage from lcd ground to the other voltage pins and they measured 3.3 V where they should and 0 where it was gnd & gnd. On the Data & Serial I got .95-.99 Volt, which seemed to give sign of data going to the LCD.

Seems that all 8 LCD's I tested were bad, but I'll talk with guys from my arduino club that worked for a firm that builds devices w/ LCD for medical devices...See what they saw.

Paul

Postby purdomphotography » Thu May 31, 2018 11:30 pm

Ohhhh Yess, well sort of.

I have realized my error...obsolete part replacement was not a viable comparative part!

This part was the original (that I took off my destoryed CA 5 shield)
ON Semiconductor / Fairchild MM74HC4050N
https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/51 ... M74HC4050N

This is the part I tried to replace with
Bourns 4116R-1-102LF
https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Bo ... k8Ew%3d%3d

Yeah, that didn't work. I had assumed they were the same packaged resisters in the same way...WOW was I wrong.

now to find some more ON Semiconductor / Fairchild MM74HC4050N

Does anyone know of a solid replacement?

Thanks,

Paul

Postby PTB » Mon Jun 18, 2018 7:26 am

Yeah I can see how that could be a problem ;)

Mouser seem to have these

CD74HC4050E @ 47 cents each

I think its a match but I wouldn't trust me.
Best check it.

Return to General Camera Axe