Trigger relay - delay - trigger camera, repeat

Trigger relay - delay - trigger camera, repeat

Postby Ernst » Thu Apr 27, 2017 8:24 am

Hi, i've got a simple question for an alternative use of the camera axe.
It's probably verry simple, but I lack to knowledge to figure this out myself :oops: .

First things of, I build my own camera axe some time ago, using an oled lcd. The whole thing is build on a smaller footprint and works as advertised. I'm happy with the result, but haven't fully used it yet.

What i want to do is build a slide copier using a slide projector and a DSLR in combination with the CA.
In order to automate the proces, I would like the CA to trigger the slide projectors remote (using a relay) to advance the slides, then wait for the slide to be inplace and then trigger the camera.
1. I guess this can be done by connecting a relay to the second flash/camera connector right?
(Edit ) Come to think of it, as the connections are electrically isolated, I could probably bypass the relay and simply connect directly to the projectors remote input. Would that work even though there is a 20v dc running through?
2. What i can't figure out though is which menu item would be most suitable to achieve this.
The menu options I would like to use (have available) are:
Camera one: focus on/of
Camere one trigger delay in seconds
Number of slides to copy (loop repeat)

If anyone could point me in the right direction, I would be verry happy.
Thanks in advance

Re: Trigger relay - delay - trigger camera, repeat

Postby Ernst » Sat Apr 29, 2017 7:08 am

Any one?
I would like to further this project, but I'm stuck right now.

Please give me some pointers.

Postby Ric » Sun Apr 30, 2017 11:18 am

I would be tempted to start with the water drop/valve menu code, tweak the data entry stuff, and then add some values to have it iterate X number of times. Alternatively have it read an input and it just cycles as long as the input is "on".

Alternatively, and perhaps better, would be to modify a copy of the intervalometer code. Same general approach as above.

I do not see a way to use the existing menu functions as is. Programming is needed.

...Ric

Wait, wait----hold the presses!

It has been awhile since I have used the valve menu and I forgot how capable it was. Use the water valve menu, have valve driver #1 cycle the slide projector, set the pulse duration to get a good advance signal (experience from long, long ago in a galaxy far away, Kodak projectors were sensitive to a minimum advance pulse duration).

So, at this point the projector has advanced. Valve #2 settings could just be to get slide projector settling time. Set Flash Delay Auto Inc to zero, number of shots to what you want. Connect the camera to the port that would have been the flash trigger.

It seems like it is all there just waiting for you to set it up.

Postby Ernst » Mon May 01, 2017 11:07 am

Ric,

Thank you so much, I think your'right :D
I totally overlooked that (probably because I thought it would be complicated).
I'll have a go with it as soon as I mounted a relais on the projector ( still not comfortable with going the direct route) and report back.

Thanks again!

Ernst

Postby Ernst » Sat May 06, 2017 7:03 am

I guess I still need some more info.

If I want to use a relay that has a coil voltage of 5vdc, I will have to connect the sleeve of the sensor 1 cable to one of the coil contacts and the tip to the other right?
As I understand it, I would also need a diode to eliminate a spike when the coil is no longer activated, which should allow a current from sleeve to tip.

Can someone tell me if this would work, or would more componets be needed.

(Edit) Just looked a bit further and came up with this:

If i were to connect grnd to sleeve, signal to middle and voltage to tip, that would work on the valve menu wouldn't it?

Please advice/confirm

Thanks in advance.

Postby Ernst » Mon May 08, 2017 11:57 am

Ric, Maurice ?

Can you please let me know if the above would work.
I realise i will need to tweek the valve menu to put out a 5v on the tip, like in the other menu's, just need to know if it works before i order the relevant part.

Thanks.

Postby Ernst » Tue May 16, 2017 4:18 pm

Please help!!

I did get a 5v relay which is specifically for arduino, however, it doesn't switch.
I guess it needs more then 40mA.
According to the manual of the CA, I should be able to provide 100mA via software.
Could anyone tell where to set this option?

Also, which lines of the valve code do i need to change to provide the circuit with 5V

Thanks in advance.

Edit:
Nevermind, the relay triggers on signal to ground instead of vcc.
Had to set all the sensor High to low and vise versa.
This is now wrking the way i intended.
Only things left to do is increasing the delay beyond 999 milliseconds (any suggestions?)
and build the circuit into the projector.

Postby erniehatt » Wed Jun 28, 2017 4:44 pm

not an easy question to answer.
If the world is a roundabout, no wonder I am always in a spin. Cheers Ernie

Return to General Camera Axe