Sensor Cleaning... what do you use?

Sensor Cleaning... what do you use?

Postby rbid » Wed Jul 04, 2012 11:23 am

I got some elephants on my sensor that does not go away with a giotto rocket blower.. and I guess I will need to follow a "wet" procedure.

What do you advice?
--- Ricky (AKA: Rbid)
"Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving" -- Albert Einstein

Re: Sensor Cleaning... what do you use?

Postby Maurice » Thu Jul 05, 2012 7:16 am

There are tons of options, but I use something like this http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/3 ... ype_3.html and the correct liquid.

I find it takes me a few tries to get the sensor clean, but I only have to do this once in a great while. I always try the air blower thing first and can live with some dirt on my sensor. I only clean when I start seeing the dust in real pictures.

Postby Blegate » Wed Jul 11, 2012 5:45 pm

Maurice is right on with the swabs. Just make sure to get the right sized ones for your sensor- check Photographic Soutions website. I use Eclipse solution which works very well. Another Solution to consider long term is an Artic Butterfly brush. http://visibledust.com/products3.php?pid=707

Cleaning the sensor with a wet solution is usually the last thing I'll do when everything else has failed. It's EZ and there are many videos out there showing how to correctly do this. Most of the time the Artic brush takes care of dust.

Postby RobinBailey » Sat Jul 14, 2012 2:02 am

Maurice wrote:There are tons of options, but I use something like this http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/3 ... ype_3.html and the correct liquid.

I find it takes me a few tries to get the sensor clean, but I only have to do this once in a great while. I always try the air blower thing first and can live with some dirt on my sensor. I only clean when I start seeing the dust in real pictures.

Thanks for the link.

Postby rbid » Sat Jul 14, 2012 2:46 am

Usually if you have dust on the sensor you will notice only when a small aperture is used (big F/Stop, above f/11).

To test if the sensor has dirt that needs to be cleaned, pick the lens with the smaller aperture (e.g. F/32), set camera (or lens) on manual focusing, set to infinite, stand up in the front of an white indoor wall, 2-3 feet away, set the speed of the camera to get a correct exposure and take a photo while you move the camera (so no details from the wall are recorded). When previewing the photo, you will see the dust on the sensor.

I clean it with a giotto rocket blower and worked most of the time, but lately on my D7000 I started to record some elephants in there.(huge dust).

Thanks for the link, the Sensor Swab is in its way :)
--- Ricky (AKA: Rbid)
"Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving" -- Albert Einstein

Postby Jijil » Mon May 06, 2013 7:12 am

For my part, I use PecPad's wipes and a "sensor wand" from Microtools Europe (there also an US shop).
I used Eclipse liquid with them, with 100% success.
But now, I only use methanol. I once was in need of sensor cleaning with no specific tools and did it with methanol. I really don't understand why it wouldn't work, as this is the nr 1 liquid used for optical cleaning (even with coatings).
And I'm also happy with methanol (and you could have liters for the price of one small Eclipse bottle ;) ).

Sensor wand is very efficient as it bends just what's needed. If you're on budget (or if you forgot your equipment at home ;) ), you could use as well a silicon cooking spatula (sharply) cut to the right size.
IMHO, Pec Pads have no equivalent. As long as I worked in an optical lab, I didn't use other wipes as good as these.
The only requirement is to use 2-3 droplets MAXIMUM of cleaning liquid (otherwise you have to wait for drying and to clean again).

Compared to any brush or blower systems, it can clean oil or liquid residues from the camera. Which I had at the very beginning of my 50D's career. It also reduces static electricity on the sensor (at least at cleaning time).
Of course, the wipes are stored in 2 closed plastic bags with minimum opening to avoid dust. I use latex gloves.
As often as I can, I do sensor cleaning in bathroom after bathing (dust is "dropped down" by water droplets, so most of the atmosphere is moisture).

Postby Opto-Mystic » Fri Jul 05, 2013 4:07 pm

I am aware that this is an older thread but this may be of interest to those vexing moments when it is necessary to clean a camera sensor.

I wrote this article In the name of DonaldG, on sensor cleaning some time ago...
http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f288/dust-on-sensors-and-cleaning-kits-540422.html

Return to General