image workflow suggestion

image workflow suggestion

Postby alexella » Tue Jul 09, 2013 10:51 am

Hello every one

This question is not directly related to cameraAxe but....it's triggered by cameraAxe :-)
And I'm posting it here because I don't have a clue where to post it...

WHAT IMAGE WORKFLOW DO YOU USE?

Facts (or, initial problem description)
F1 - water drop photography generates a significant amount of images during the setup phase [varying from case to case]
F2 - the total size of the images tends to get impressive since RAW format is the "weapon of choice" here [I'm open to debate this with those that don't agree]
F3 - after a...short while, many images that have a drop-collision captured inside tend to....repeat somehow or to look similar. There are not quite good but also not worth throwing them away
F4 - "unfortunately", since CameraAxe is on the market, the change of having a "cool and one of a kind" photo is rapidly decreasing. The only chance to make a "cool and one of a kind" drop-collision photo is do a lot of them and be creative in changing the setup on every batch of images.

Question: since after each photo shooting session, I collect a couple of gig's of images (and hundreds of them), it takes time and space to deal with them.
How do proceed?

I will start by suggesting some solutions:

S1 - keep making pictures, throw only those visibly garbage and keep on searching for the perfect drop, whilst keeping all the other "unsatisfying" images.
This solution takes a loooot of time. [it's my current solution]

S2 - kill'em all. Be like a spartan. Keep only the best, a few per photo session and throw all the others.
[....anyone?....]

S3 - work in team: you do the shots and your team assistant is sorting them.
[come on, a man has the right to dream....]

In any case: how do you proceed with the colliding drops image workflow???

Re: image workflow suggestion

Postby erniehatt » Mon Jul 22, 2013 5:23 am

It has been a time since you posted this, But I will add something in case you are still watching.
First up I do not work in Raw, But have no reason to debate it, it's a matter of choice.
I do not use all the fancy bits such as the CA doing the calculations for me, I like to do my own setup, I make a few drops until I see something that may be useful, then I set up the camera, and take a couple of shots, and do a few adjustments, take a few more, If I am not satisfied with the results I delete them.
I see that most people are trying to emulate the way others work, my feelings on this is, it takes away from the enjoyment, I like the experimentation part of it.
I work in short sessions, and delete as I go, that way I do not have endless images to check.
If the world is a roundabout, no wonder I am always in a spin. Cheers Ernie

Postby alexella » Thu Jul 25, 2013 7:42 am

Yeap, still watching :-)

First of all, thank you for sharing.

Second, I'm using RAW because it helps me with some of my mistakes.
during setup I'm using JPG but after that....I'm switching to RAW .
But indeed, this is not a RAW debate so I'll stop here.

Third: unfortunately, I'm a "uzzi" shooter and not a sniper. Hence...I end up with a lot of files. A loooooot of files.

Fourth: emulating. Hm. You're right. One should be as creative as possible in order not to shoot just another set of water drops... I try to be as creative as possible with lights and shadows and colors (BTW: I've just ordered a set of colored filters for my flashes, should be fun).

My conclusion so far, especially after your post, is that I have to improve my deleting technique.
I really should keep just a couple of photos per session, those that I consider that are looking good and DIFFERENT than all the others I've allready done.

Postby erniehatt » Thu Jul 25, 2013 4:13 pm

Hi Alexella,
My work environment is not the best and very restrictive, so I tend to not spend two much time at, just a few shots each time, making note of my settings, so that when I return, I can start from where I left off.
I also experiment a lot with the whole setup, changing valves, nozzles etc. it makes for more interest.
If the world is a roundabout, no wonder I am always in a spin. Cheers Ernie

Return to General